Coca-Cola and Obesity

This ad isn’t shown in the Philippines, I guess because the program is currently only in the US. But it is of interest to me because I drink Coke and I am obese.

Some time ago (I completely forgot when that was) I signed up at the health site Calorie Count (and I even downloaded the free iPhone app). Although I haven’t fully maximized the abundance of information (and support) available from that community to kick off my own wellness plan, I do pick up on articles they post thru their newsletters. Today, it included a post on Coca-Cola’s Anti-Obesity Ad.

Put on those Bose headphones, and watch this short video:

What do you think?

I think that when big corporations (and don’t forget politicians) spend money (or risk losing some profit) for the greater good – that’s a good thing. And that we shouldn’t be so blind not to see that their special projects could also be self-serving – a PR job, a way to look good for the cameras, or a conscience-cleansing effort. But they still deserve support – or acknowledgment at the very least. After all, when more people join in to fight for a cause, whatever cause it may be, it’s a step closer to the goal.

What I’m saying is, good job Coca-Cola for owning up to your role in making the world obese and taking steps to reduce that – no matter how small the steps. But I’m pretty sure you will not completely take your sugary products off the market. That would be suicide.

On the YouTube page for the ad, there are mixed reactions. Some people talk about other sins of the company. It’s like saying ‘I will not accept nor applaud your help here and right now because I cannot accept your other actions elsewhere.’ It’s like Sting changing the venue of his Philippine concert because the SM MOA Arena is affiliated with tree-cutting SM Baguio. Know what I mean?

So in the end, it’s still up to us to choose the better options. 0 cal or 140 cal? Zero or regular Coke? Soda or water? It’s not just Coke’s fault that I need to lose about ninety to a hundred pounds, but drinking Coke was probably a big contributor. And yes, I have ingested way more calories than I burn. I didn’t need a Coca-Cola ad to tell me that. But knowing that they are putting money into the fight against obesity? Now that’s cool.

But you know what, maybe learning about why other people boycott Coke would help turn me off of it completely. Hah! That would be the day. Happiness nga eh.

This entry was posted on Friday, January 25th, 2013 at 4:36 pm and is filed under Health - Losing Weight, Interesting stuff, Issues of the day. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

45 Responses to “Coca-Cola and Obesity”

Aileen January 26th, 2013 at 9:04 am

I could say that for the past year until now, I don’t drink Coke or any softdrinks that much. That is why whenever I do, I can’t even down the sakto size, which is something to smile about. It says my body is getting used to not having that hehehe. In fact, the only advantage of Coke for me is when I am experiencing mild diarrhea.
Aileen´s last [post] ..Of Women Runners and That Time of the Month

Good for you!

max January 26th, 2013 at 9:19 am

i shun from drinking soft drinks; my problem are my children who are so fond of soft drinks

Maybe you can still stop them hehe, wag mo bilhan :)

Meikah Ybañez-Delid January 26th, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Coca-Cola or any other soda has been linked to obesity and even developing diabetes. So good thing you write about this to remind people. :)
Meikah Ybañez-Delid´s last [post] ..Start the Year Right with sulit.com.ph

I need to be reminded din kasi minsan. :)

KRIZZA January 26th, 2013 at 8:40 pm

I’m trying to avoid Coca Cola, too. Di kasi maawat minsan eh. But I agree that drinking water is more economical and healthy.
KRIZZA´s last [post] ..Visiting Thailand

I make sure I bring a tumbler to work para water na lang. Kahit Minute Maid or Iced Tea di na rin ako masyadong nabili.

Mom Michelle January 26th, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Coke is “happiness” for me too. haha! But you’re right, in the end it’s always a matter of choice. With or without an ad, I hope govt. officials share for programs that the young will benefit and stay fit. :-)
Mom Michelle´s last [post] .."Let’s Talk Business" in Sinulog

Tama!

Louise | Mommy Practicality January 27th, 2013 at 1:02 am

Well, true if they do take off their products from the shelves it would be suicide. They do contribute to increase sugar intake, because if you’re on a diet or want to live a healthier lifestyle, Coke is one of the many you should cut. But it depends still on the person taking in the soda. Living a healthier life is a choice. :)
Louise | Mommy Practicality´s last [post] ..Breakfast Buffet at Quest Hotel Cebu – Puso Bistro & Bar

Sana laging madali yung healthier choice no? hehe

Sheryl Georylcom January 27th, 2013 at 11:15 am

i can finish two liters of coke in a day when i was younger (especially when I was tending to our store during the school break) and I’d been on the chubby side during those days. i still drink it occasionally but i’m glad that i’m not that “addicted” to it anymore.
Sheryl Georylcom´s last [post] ..My Hubby Still Hates Shaving

Grabe ang dami nun ha! Ako din I’m glad I can say no kahit papano, pero minsan I still drink a lot

Marie January 27th, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I am not really into coke, because my stomach gets acidic (although I drink coffee haha). I am glad my son’s school prohibits any drinks with sugar in the school. Just water lang iniinom nila.
Marie´s last [post] ..Homework Help:i Study On The Net

That’s good! In both schools I attended as a kid (elem and hs) hindi bawal eh.

Chan January 27th, 2013 at 9:09 pm

I know Coke tastes good, i drinl once in a while lang talag as I know sodas are bad, and most say, that Coke is the baddest? Not really sure. But in total sodas will not only make you fat, but can also trigger diabetes or even cancer, as white sugar is really, really bad

Buti ka pa once in a while lang. I try din to stay away.

kat January 28th, 2013 at 1:31 am

I love coke. It is one of the products I have difficulty in quitting. Haay.

Dama ko yung Haay mo :)

verna January 28th, 2013 at 2:34 am

I used to love softdrinks. Buti nalang I’ve outgrown na my love for them. The best pa rin talaga water. But yeah, Coca-cola must be commended for this.

Ako nabawasan naman na talaga pero minsan talaga hinahanap ko rin.

Daddy Allan January 28th, 2013 at 8:17 am

Is this an irony, coca-cola which is known to have lots of calories will have an ad on anti-obesity?
Daddy Allan´s last [post] ..Kitchen Tips: Blanching Veggies

Haha tama! Hayaan mo na, at least they try to be good. :)

ElizOF January 28th, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I used to drink a lot of diet coke but cut back when I went organic. I drink it occasionally but I think it’s still up to us to choose healthier options. I agree. :-)
Eliz
ElizOF´s last [post] ..Musings: Haiku & Small Stones To The Rescue…

January January 28th, 2013 at 7:13 pm

As much as possible I’m avoiding soft drinks if hindi talaga mapigilan I’ll sip about 1/4 cup lang..

Pinay R. January 28th, 2013 at 10:07 pm

I love Coke, too. Only these days I noticed the 1.5L Coke taste too sweet and doesn’t have the spritz. Am I the only one feeling this?
Pinay R.´s last [post] ..ZC PUBLIC MARKET: POST 3:FACES

Now that you mentioned it, meron nga sometimes kakaibang sweetness, pero not all the time. Maybe it depends sa batch?

Pinay R. January 28th, 2013 at 10:08 pm

We are on the same boat Vera…loving Coke and obesity! I do hope I have more will power not to drink Coke.
Pinay R.´s last [post] ..ZC PUBLIC MARKET: POST 1: FIRST LOOK

Daddy Yashiro January 28th, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Well as for me, my thought is that everything more than beyond the right amount is really bad for our health and still moderation is the best.
Daddy Yashiro´s last [post] ..The Old Days of Taking Pictures

I agree. everything in moderation. Pero ano ba ang moderate? hehe

Jhari January 29th, 2013 at 1:24 am

I really love the way Coca-Cola do their ads. I’m addict with drinking softdrinks and I couldn’t stop talaga with it. I’m trying to, because my husband would like to loose weight. Pero ang hirap hahaha!!!

Oh btw sis, I have personal question that I would like to ask you with. Can you email me back at mj(dot)oueini(at)gmail(dot)com please? Thanks sis.
Jhari´s last [post] ..New Domain

Mahirap talaga! :)
Emailed you na.

Olga January 30th, 2013 at 1:32 am

Naku, do they boycott Coke because of the products they sell? Then they should boycott all chocolate and candy manufacturers, fast food outlets, bakeries, bakeshops. Lahat na! If you’re unhealthy because of poor eating habits, you have no one else to blame but yourself.
Olga´s last [post] ..Clean Air for A Healthy Home

Haha, hindi naman boycott ang call ng mga health conscious. Pero stay away daw. :)

Gusto ko rin sana magboycott ng ilang chocolate manufacturers kasi gumagamit sila ng ingredients from farms na may human trafficking. I’ll post about that some other time. Mas mahirap kasing gawin kesa sabihin. :)

Olga Reply:

Masyado yata violent reaction ko sa boycott thing. Hahaha! You’re right, Vera, it really is easier said than done. My sugar levels have been high lately also. Medyo borderline na sa minimum range ng diabetics. :P But I’m really having a hard time staying away from sweets talaga though I keep on promising to veer away from them.
Olga´s last [post] ..Homecooked Meals Made UMAMI-licious with Ajinomoto Umami Seasoning

Di naman masyado hehe :) maging violent na lang tayo against sugar! haha

reese January 30th, 2013 at 12:43 pm

i manage to stopped drinking coke (pepsi na lang, joke! hahaha) the time i was aware how it attacks labor rights; grabe…ang 45 unions ng company na ito ay tinanggihan for its collective bargaining agreement that involves the wage, working condition and benefits of workers; coke is spreading unhappiness to the filipino workers

May online primers ka ba sis? Baka pag nabasa ko ma motivate na rin ako to completely stop drinking coke :)

Dominique Goh January 31st, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Sweet drinks are really bad for you. I’ve stop taking coke and rather drink water or fruit juices nowadays.
Dominique Goh´s last [post] ..Writer’s Workshop: Kinda Random Facts about Us

Rosemarie/Gven-Rose January 31st, 2013 at 6:28 pm

I only drinks softdrinks when I feel drinking.. hindi masyado kasi feeling ko napupuno yung tummy ko.. I am more on juices..
Rosemarie/Gven-Rose´s last [post] ..Of Being Unsure

Good for you :) I am trying to stay away from juices and iced tea na din, water na lang talaga para no sugar. Or at least one sugary drink per day na lang instead of bote bote hehe :)

Lady Spring February 4th, 2013 at 12:38 am

I didn’t think I could completely give up soda because for years it became my “water”. I can finish a bottle of 1.5 coke in a day….everyday. :/ But If I really wanted to lose weight, I knew it had to go…along with processed food. It was hard at first because I was craving it like crazy. I had a kind of withdrawal to it. :( Parang I became miserable pa nga. When I got out of that phase I knew…I am staying away for good. Kainis yung feeling. Parang it rules you. diba?! Anyway lol sorry nobela. haha I haven’t had soda in 6 months. I sometimes crave for it but it isn’t as strong as before and I remind myself that if I give in to the cravings I’m losing to something bad.?
Lady Spring´s last [post] ..Crafty Fri- … err Saturday!

Ang galing, keep it up! Don’t have any coke na talaga, baka one sip might lead to another :)

tet March 13th, 2013 at 12:18 am

I can gulped down a liter of Coke in one sitting. I did when I was in college. Now, my sacrifice for the lent is no softdrinks. Really hard for me but then I have to do it.