Project: Ripple Pattern Blanket

This is what’s keeping me busy outside of work:

Well, okay. It’s not exactly that, but that photo links to the pattern I am following for a blanket I’m working on. My colors are not nearly as bright as what the original pattern maker used.

I fell in love with the ripple pattern when I first saw this image on Pinterest (follow my boards @verabear!), so much that I completely forgot about the original pattern I intended to work on.

This is the first time I’m attempting a blanket. Or maybe I should call it a throw or afghan or something? It’s just going to be big enough to throw over the love seat, our living room couch that has been doubling as my bed too. Hehe. My previous crochet projects (from years and years ago) were nowhere near this big. I’m excited!

I got my set of crochet hooks about two weeks ago and I knew I really wanted to work on something. In time, I found the perfect ripple pattern. And then last week, we went yarn shopping!

Alfred helped me pick out the colors. Initially I wanted a summer theme – so I had in mind a very light and sunny palette. But the colors available weren’t so bright and sunny. Also, the boyfriend gravitated towards the colors he knew I loved – purples and pinks.

I would love to someday use cotton yarns and specialty yarns, but for now, I settled with the readily available Cannon mercerized cotton brand.

Before I actually started on the blanky, I stitched a sample patch so I can get used to the pattern. It was fairly easy to get used to. After the second row I already stopped reading the pattern. The patch allowed me to also visualize what the final product will look like, and also to measure how many chains I will need.

Photo Mar 10, 8 57 21 AM

I used a 3.0 mm hook for the trial patch, but decided to use the smaller hook for the actual project. The main project will be 10 times the width of this one, still don’t know much taller or how many rows it’ll take. So far I’ve done 6.5 rows on my blanky and I’ve had to unravel my stitches twice. First one was on the first row (I had excess chains!) and the last one was for the 7th row – I missed two stitches early in the row and I was at the end of that row before I realized it. Confusing? Never mind, it’s not important. Smile

While I was going through fabulous crochet works on Pinterest, I couldn’t help but think about my grandmother who taught me this craft. I miss her. I bet she could show me how to work any complicated pattern out there.

Anything I crochet, will always be done in her memory.

Hay. Moving on…

Apart from crocheting, I also sneak in some reading. I am currently going through book 2 of the Millenium Trilogy, The Girl Who Played with Fire.

So the short story is that, this is why I haven’t written a review of Oz, The Great and Powerful. Also the reason why I haven’t mentioned anything about meeting up with friends for dinner on Sunday night. That same dinner where my friend commented about the streets being relatively safer thanks to BPOs working round the clock giving commuters in general a lesser need to log on to safetygirl.com for pepper spray or mace purchases. Smile

This entry was posted on Wednesday, March 13th, 2013 at 8:06 pm and is filed under Crochet. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

31 Responses to “Project: Ripple Pattern Blanket”

farida March 14th, 2013 at 7:42 am

Now I’m curious with how a zigzag pattern is like… I had a pepper spray back in college I never used given by a paranoid ex. On hindsight, I should have tried it on him before the expiration date came! :))
farida´s last [post] ..Down Memory Lane

Vanessa March 14th, 2013 at 8:07 am

wow, good job right there! i hope i know how to crochet too. it just amazes me how you come up with those nicely done blankets and stuffs, it’s really nice!
Vanessa´s last [post] ..Keep Calm and Latch On

Rosemarie/Gven-Rose March 14th, 2013 at 10:12 am

wow! you are into crocheting too? I remember making a doily when i was in elementary.. looking forward to the finish product :-)
Rosemarie/Gven-Rose´s last [post] ..Ways To Promote A Business

Daddy Allan March 14th, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Cute naman. This is what Mommy said. Seems easy but actually a bit difficult to make.
Daddy Allan´s last [post] ..What I Got From Commex?

Mommy Maye March 15th, 2013 at 7:38 am

You are using mesmerized cotton pala hehe. Those colors are cute and malamig sa mata. Want to crochet a blanket or a bed sheet un lang kasi I have no time. Lagi naman e. haha

Mommy Maye
Mommy Maye´s last [post] ..Bloggers’ Treat and $300+ Paypal Cash Giveaway

Maan March 15th, 2013 at 8:52 am

Galing mo, Vera! How I wish I can learn this craft. Magpaturo nga ako sa nanay ko haha
Maan´s last [post] ..Ayala Abreeza Breastfeeding Room

Marie March 15th, 2013 at 11:21 am

Wow, such pretty colors. I only crochet if project ng second daughter ko haha (she goes to a catholic school run by the same principal for 30-40 years na ata hehe)
Marie´s last [post] ..Happy Birthday, Mama!

max March 15th, 2013 at 12:57 pm

yay, to your new hobby! you are very productive ha

Leslie March 15th, 2013 at 2:02 pm

WOW! I wanna learn that!!!!=) I wanna make a sandal-less crochet thing for my sammmiiiiieeee=)
Leslie´s last [post] ..Cold… BRRRRRR (Scrapbooking 101?)

Rizza March 15th, 2013 at 6:13 pm

How do you do that? It seems so complicated.
Rizza´s last [post] ..Cooking Snow Peas with Tomato and Broccoli

January/Janzcrystalz March 16th, 2013 at 5:17 am

Wow Vera you’re into crocheting din. I wanted to learn the craft too kaso wala na talaga ako time hehehe. I’m looking forward for the finished product. :)
January/Janzcrystalz´s last [post] ..Sunrise in the City

teri March 16th, 2013 at 8:16 am

my mom taught me how to crochet as in centuries ago. lol looking forward for the finish product. :)
teri´s last [post] ..Mommy the Juggler

Chin chin March 17th, 2013 at 3:48 am

Wow! You can crochet. I tried to ask my cousin to teach when I was in high school but did not pursue. It would have been a nice hobby.
Chin chin´s last [post] ..Lenten Season Reflection – “Today, You Will Be With Me in Paradise”

Jhari March 17th, 2013 at 4:21 am

Well, this is a good stress therapy too. You may not be able to finish a digital scrapbook photo album sis, but at least you have this one :)

Goodluck on the project :)

Jemm March 17th, 2013 at 8:49 am

I want to learn how to do that too, but I don’t think I have the patience. :))

Louise Antonette|Mommy Practicality March 17th, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Wow Vera, good luck on this blanket project. I used to do crocheting in school as a project. It’s hardwork and patience talaga. Post pics of your finished masterpiece! :)

jellybelly March 17th, 2013 at 7:09 pm

That’s a huge project. Goodluck with it! Here I haven’t even finished my baby’s baby blanket and she’s now 4 years old :)
jellybelly´s last [post] ..A New Chapter

Meikah Ybañez-Delid March 18th, 2013 at 10:11 am

Cool! :) I love the colors, especially!
Meikah Ybañez-Delid´s last [post] ..Appalled

Daddy Yashiro March 18th, 2013 at 11:38 am

That’s great if going to do a blanket! Perhaps that would be finished before Christmas. Great for the cold season.
Daddy Yashiro´s last [post] ..Friday Toys: Badminton Rackets

RonLeyba March 18th, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Nice colors! Love it! I am a big fan of colorful and vibrant stuff and items.
RonLeyba´s last [post] ..FA Cup 2013 Semi Final Match Ups

kat March 18th, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Wow. Maybe I will try to learn this craft.
kat´s last [post] ..YouTube to mp3 Converter for Mac

Chan March 18th, 2013 at 10:26 pm

I tried to learn this when I was in high school but I dont have the patience. Your crochet looks really cute however :) keep it up!!
Chan´s last [post] ..Live Your Style With adidas NEO

ElizOF March 19th, 2013 at 12:01 am

What a beautiful and colorful piece… I love the look of it… Good job! :-)
Eliz
ElizOF´s last [post] ..Reflections: A Quick Meal & A Haiku…

id="comment-171949">

tyna March 19th, 2013 at 3:18 am

ang ganda. love the colors.
tyna´s last [post] ..Confessions of a Cloth Diaper Skeptic

ceemee March 19th, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I love the colors. I am more drawn to pastels than super bright colors.
ceemee´s last [post] ..Exercise To Shine, Cymplified!

main page March 26th, 2013 at 1:56 am

Have a look at this great 1980s pinterest feed I’ve found, there’s a really good post of the best 1980s sweets. It’s like being a child again!

Ditas March 26th, 2013 at 5:47 pm

This is a really great project. I wish I remember how to crochet. I learned it once in my life for my home ec class in 5th grade.
Ditas´s last [post] ..Homemade Nutella Popsicles

Ivy March 26th, 2013 at 8:39 pm

You go, girl! I can’t seem to commit to any long-term (even longish lang) projects these days. That blanket’s gonna be really pretty though.

Btw, got a new blog (although http://www.spinninglovelydays.com is still up). Hope you can drop by in either sometime. I’m going to resume blogging with a vengeance, hee hee.
Ivy´s last [post] ..St. Patrick’s Day Unit Study: Finding Rainbows in the Mundane

Reyn March 26th, 2013 at 9:18 pm

We call this “Gansilyo” in Ilokano. My mother love doing this.

old fashion toys May 7th, 2013 at 1:11 am

Excellent weblog right here! Also your site so much up fast! What web host are you the use of? Can I am getting your associate link to your host? I wish my website loaded up as quickly as yours lol

domain October 20th, 2014 at 7:54 am

hi!,I love your writing so much! proportion we keep in touch more approximately your post on AOL?

I require an expert in this area to unravel my problem.
May be that’s you! Looking forward to see you.
domain´s last [post] ..domain