110 Coloring Books and Crayons for Aklan Kids!

My work-in-progress (WIP) craft is a knitting project. I finished my crochet ripple blanket a few months ago and quickly took on my second blankie project. Unfortunately, it has taken the backseat since after Yolanda hit the Philippines in November.

No, my family was not among the victim/survivors. But like many people out there, we were struck by the tragedy and had wanted to help. There was (and still ongoing) a relief project at Mom’s work so she was involved in that. As for me, I chose to come up with my own fund raising program with the latest hobby I took up. The Rainbow Loom.

I enjoyed my Loom Bandz so much that an idea immediately came to me: why not encourage kids/young people to donate by letting them buy the bracelets for 20 pesos each, where 10 pesos is guaranteed to go to a fund for crayons and coloring books for kids who survived Typhoon Yolanda. Thanks to friends and colleagues who thought it was a good idea, we sold over 300 rainbow bands and bought enough crayons and coloring books for 110 kids!

Here are some samples of the bracelets we sold:

2013-11-23 13.18.01

2013-12-02 15.21.57

2013-12-01 15.10.01

My two helpers: Esban and Michal. They were making bands with me during the SATS fiesta on 11/30. They also came by the house after school to make bands that their classmates ordered.

2013-11-30 18.50.27

2013-12-02 14.39.05

Supportive family and friends Smile

2013-12-01 00.52.50

It was really important to me that kids and young people were involved with the project, because the intended recipients were kids too. In the midst of tragedy, we should always think about them first. Since there are already a lot of efforts in providing the necessities, I wanted to make sure that fun stuff – stuff that would help them heal too – were also included.

My niece/goddaughter Hanna accompanied me to the National Book Store that morning of December 21. I was probably the first person she talked to upon waking up, and I’d asked her to dress quickly and accompany me. What a way to start her off on her holidays. Hehe.

After buying all these stuff, we spent an hour in my car removing price tags and packing them into brown envelopes.

1462569_10200949877941759_2091933448_o

That same afternoon, the kits were packed into a bus to Aklan where the volunteer distributor was bound for his Christmas holiday with his family. I was so thankful that he was around to make sure these items reached happy little hands.

906877_10200245906789146_1734863584_o

This year, I hope I can embark on another meaningful project, and be a real blessing to others. I still have people ordering the bracelets but I’m taking a break for now. Also not sure if I’ll continue it with the charity pledge or make a little profit from the bands. I had zero profit from the November-December project, hehe.

Anyhoo, doing this project has really kept me busy the last several weeks of 2013. Busy, but in a very delightful way too.

This entry was posted on Sunday, January 5th, 2014 at 1:19 am and is filed under Causes - click to donate, Interesting stuff, Kids. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

17 Responses to “110 Coloring Books and Crayons for Aklan Kids!”

www.youtube.com January 9th, 2014 at 7:11 am

Hi there! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers?
My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing several weeks of
hard work due to no back up. Do you have any methods to
protect against hackers?
http://www.youtube.com´s last [post] ..http://www.youtube.com

kat January 11th, 2014 at 12:20 am

What a great idea, Vera! The bands are so cute. Where can I find the rainbow loom in the Philippines?
kat´s last [post] ..5 Ideas to Try for 2014

From me? Hehe. Pwede din. I have a good relationship na yata with my seller ;) Pero Loom Bandz yung binebenta nya. 1 kit is 350 pesos, it inculdes the loom, about 600 assorted rubberbands, and a hook. Oh and 24 S clips.

kat Reply:

how many rainbow bands can be made with 600 rubberbands?

The ones I make use 47 pieces, so 12. But the basic bands use a lot less. There are refill rubber bands for sale too in different colors. Kaya lang wala pa yung restock ni supplier ko, i think puro assorted pa yung packs nya.

tet January 16th, 2014 at 10:43 pm

I noticed my students are also making the same bracelet like this one. I think it is the trend now.:)

Btw, that’s a very wonderful advocacy. Keep it up! :)

wanderwoman January 17th, 2014 at 7:59 am

those are nice gifts to the kids. the rubberbands remind you of the bracelets back then that kids tend to collect from their wins in games!

Krizza January 17th, 2014 at 9:30 am

That was a very good project! You’re into crafts now? That sounds good to me as I love doing crafts, too. Good luck on your future projects, Sis. :)
Krizza´s last [post] ..Some Realizations for 2014

Marie January 17th, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Wow, ang galing naman, Vera!!! Making the bracelets gave a whole meaning and new purpose, I am sure . Sana I can be near you so I can help make one (Teka, you have to teach me muna how to make it lol)
Marie´s last [post] ..{Fabulous Fridays} My Mineral Make-up Love

Maye Domencil January 18th, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Parang gusto ko din gumawa, I need time naman. Hehe. Anyway, I admire you sis for having a project like this. Sana one day I can do similar beneficial project.
Maye Domencil´s last [post] ..Maja Mais

Eliz@MirthandMotivation January 19th, 2014 at 6:40 am

WoW! These kids are super creative and the burst of colors in the artwork looks just divine. What a wonderful project!
Eliz
Eliz@MirthandMotivation´s last [post] ..Reflections: Who Am I and Why Am I Here?

aby January 20th, 2014 at 10:43 am

wow! i salute you for this project! :) keep it up!

Maan January 20th, 2014 at 2:43 pm

What a cool project! Aside from the cute cute bracelets, I love the fact that they are made by kids for kids. God bless you and your efforts!
Maan´s last [post] ..My Far-from-Perfect Sunday and Changing my Character

Jhari January 21st, 2014 at 5:39 am

Awesome projects! Love the colors. It looks like it represents happiness :)
Jhari´s last [post] ..Owl For Love Kit

Farida January 22nd, 2014 at 12:07 am

How creative of you to think of doing this to help others. Di ba mahal yan and it’s imported? The kids in the US are crazy about this too from the article I read before. I’m sure the recipients will be happy to receive them :)

Allan January 22nd, 2014 at 7:44 am

The bands are cute. For sure, they will be happy after receiving those items.
Allan´s last [post] ..Rated SPG Commercials?

Lady Anne January 22nd, 2014 at 4:57 pm

The bracelets are lovely! You are such a blessing to others! Continue to inspire people.
Lady Anne´s last [post] ..A Romantic Retreat at Fujairah Rotana Resort and Spa