Jesus Loves the Little Children

I grew up learning Bible stories and the teachings of Christ through Sunday School. It was there that I first experienced being taught to make heart-shaped cards to give my parents for Valentine’s Day.

Sunday couldn’t come too soon because on that day we get to go to school in the Seminary and yet have fun. We learn songs. We draw, color, cut, paste, and do lots of creative things.

It’s almost like every other afternoon spent with friends in some grounds or corner of the compound. Except we’d be wearing our Sunday best.

Every Sunday at around 8 or 830 AM, all the kids would head to their respective classrooms, while our parents or older siblings proceed to the chapel. We all meet again later, during Communion. And then after Mass, the community gathers for coffee at the Common Room. Sometimes, the Sunday School kids would mount a performance.

Fun times.

All those memories came back to me after seeing this short video.

Thank you indeed for all the support given to the ECP’s Sunday School programs. Though their own experiences may be different, I’m pretty sure that when these kids are as old as I am now, they will look back to these times with fondness.

Then I remembered too, that at some point I thought about volunteering for the children’s ministry of the Church. So why haven’t I? It would honor Auntie Leesah’s memory to do it (ask any Seminary kid of my generation and their Sunday School memories will not be complete without her). It would also be a way to give back to the Church who has given us so much.

I don’t even go to church regularly. Sad to say, but the only times I’ve been at church lately, is to attend a memorial mass for friends or loved ones who died. So I won’t make a promise today that soon I’ll be back on track, attending Mass, and volunteering for Sunday School. No I won’t make a promise I’ll break. But I am reminding myself today. Reminding myself that I’ve been looking for something new to be passionate about. I’ll never know if this is it all along if I don’t give it a try.

Did you have Sunday School at your church? What was it like?

This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 5th, 2013 at 4:47 pm and is filed under Church, Videos, When I was a kid.... You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

34 Responses to “Jesus Loves the Little Children”

Pinay R. February 5th, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I was so active in Church before, but now I am not, too! …
Pinay R.´s last [post] ..LAYAG-LAYAG YELLOW BOAT VILLAGE: SEAWEEDS

Jellybelly February 6th, 2013 at 10:16 am

Sunday school is certainly important for children. My daughter attends Sabbath school where she learns songs and stories about Jesus, coloring etc. They have great activities, even and summer camp. Through this, she sang in church a few times with 2 other children which is why she’s comfortable in front of people and during programs in school. I am so thankful that she has this because I never attended one.

Yay for girl :) Now that you mention it, my Sunday school experience probably also helped build my confidence

Rizza February 6th, 2013 at 4:43 pm

We didn’t go to Sunday schools. But, my siblings and I studied in Catholic schools from primary-tertiary levels.
Rizza´s last [post] ..Making Tokwa’t Baboy Sauce

I attended an all-girl Catholic high school :)

January February 6th, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I have not attended a Sunday School before too. But I was a choir during my elementary days. :)
January´s last [post] ..Our First Run Had Kicked-Off

Dominique Goh February 7th, 2013 at 10:26 am

I used to go to sunday school when I was a kid and I send my boys to sunday school now. I agree that it does help to ground their knowledge in the faith and I do follow up at home with them.
Dominique Goh´s last [post] ..iPad2 Giveaway -(US) ends 4th March

ElizOF February 7th, 2013 at 10:15 pm

I used to be very active too and even taught Sunday School but life shifted and so did I… I must get back again. TY for the reminder.
BTW, I forgot to add my blog to this week’s bc list, a visit would be appreciated.
Eliz
ElizOF´s last [post] ..Haiku: A Tango Or Two…

Lady Anne February 8th, 2013 at 5:55 am

I have never attended Sunday school though I studied in a Catholic school from kinder until high school. Oh and there was a bible class during summer which I really loved!
Lady Anne´s last [post] ..Breakfast Date at IHOP

Aileen February 8th, 2013 at 10:12 am

I once attended vacation bible school from a different religion hehe. Doesn’t matter naman because it’s the same God who was being preached. It made me appreciate more those bible stories. But it’s just just now, as an adult and a change in faith that I am starting to see and understand more. Bible school was a good foundation, I would say. But how you grow in faith is really up to you
Aileen´s last [post] ..Infographic: Running Facts

Farida February 8th, 2013 at 11:06 am

I often hear our Pastor say, “bring your children to Sunday school.” Some parents though just send them and go back home instead of attending church service. I’m glad though that my family practices the good habit of going to church on Sundays :)

max February 8th, 2013 at 1:13 pm

haven’t attended sunday school also my kids, but we ensure to hear mass every sunday

Louise Antonette February 9th, 2013 at 8:40 am

I used to attend Sunday Bible Reading of my mom, not really a children’s school. But I went to a Catholic school and was taught a lot about how Jesus really loves children. :)
Louise Antonette´s last [post] ..Pink Parlour Philippines Manicure and Pedicure Treatment

Mommy Maye February 9th, 2013 at 9:42 am

I used to be active in Church when I was in elementary and higschool. I attended all the mass every week starting to Wednesday until Sunday. But now I can go to Church on Sundays only so I make sure we will attend mass on that day with our son.

Mommy Maye2

It’s good that you are able to share your faith with your son.

Mylene February 9th, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Yes we have a Sunday School in our church. I actually grew up in Sunday School. I’ve been teaching in Sunday for quite sometime now and the kids I fetched before are now all grown up. It is a blessing for me to see them still in our church in Project serving the Lord – taking over the ministry of teaching the kids.
Mylene´s last [post] ..Daughter E Is Turning One

Good job!

Marie February 9th, 2013 at 10:44 pm

I have been a product of Catholic schools (from pre-school to college) kaya you can just imagine the religion overload. I tried to stay away from Church talaga. My religion teachers would ask what was the gospel on Sunday every Monday. What I do is go to church, get the missal sheet and copy the gospel then leave lol. I am back on track na. After returning to the fold 6 years ago, I got sidetracked, but thankfully, I am back. Little steps to going back to my faith.
Marie´s last [post] ..Near impact: asteroid to narrowly miss Earth

Yun yung di ko nagustuhan din, the assignment to post a reflection of the Sunday gospel. Kasi available naman pala sya sa newspaper! So it defeated the purpose of encouraging the students to attend mass. Pero I guess at least it made us think about the Word kahit papano.

Little steps are big gestures already. Happy for you :)

tyna February 10th, 2013 at 2:13 am

when i was young i attended sunday school too together with my friends. yup. great memories.
tyna´s last [post] ..SM Baby Company’s Grand Baby Fair Year 3

sanna February 10th, 2013 at 6:28 am

My family hears mass every other week. This year ( though not promising too) i will try to do it every week.
sanna´s last [post] ..Sponge Cakes ( Filipino Mamon)

Chan February 10th, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I religiously attend Sunday schools when I was a teenager too and I agree that Jesus loves the little children as they are pure and without malice yet
Chan´s last [post] ..Start The Year Right With SULIT.COM.PH Plus, A Chance To Win 10K Worth GC!

Khim February 11th, 2013 at 12:20 am

I was enrolled in a Catholic school when I was in elementary and I am so blessed because I studied there. I became close to God and I knew Him better. Even though I have a busy life nowadays, I never fail to say “Thank You” to Him. Sunday School also improved my faith in Him. Yes, I was away from Him for a while. But, then a friend came (a blessing from Him) who brought me back closer to Him. :) It’s nice to live with the words of God.
Khim´s last [post] ..Random’03: FRIENDS

I appreciate the Christian Education classes in the private school I attended, and then the Christian Formation Program of my Catholic HS. :)

RonLeyba February 11th, 2013 at 1:12 am

There are other ways to serve the church and spread the love of Jesus than attending the mass and volunteering at Sunday bible schools :).
RonLeyba´s last [post] ..Odd But Cool Looking Travel Destinations, Transportation And Jobs Around The Globe

Mom Michelle February 11th, 2013 at 8:01 am

We don’t have a Sunday school but I remember going with my father for Charismatic seminars because he’s a preacher and a good one too. He’s very good with illustrations and that’s he captures the eyes and ears of his audience – with his drawings on the board. That’s how I learned more about God which was through my dad. :-)
Mom Michelle´s last [post] ..House Rules and Home Chores – Part II

Yay for Dads like yours! :)

kat February 11th, 2013 at 11:26 am

I did not go to Sunday school. I joined Flores de Mayo for two years. I’m Catholic, btw. I listen to Bible stories from my father. :D
kat´s last [post] ..3 Blog Redesign Thoughts

Meikah Ybañez-Delid February 11th, 2013 at 1:03 pm

I like those Sunday schools! :) Wish there are those, too, our church. Hehe
Meikah Ybañez-Delid´s last [post] ..Friday Mommy Inspirations

Maan February 11th, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I remember my mom and her friends organizing a Christian summer school in our subdivision waaaay back. I hope to do the same in the future. :-)
Maan´s last [post] ..My Sample Room Experience

That would be a lot of fun for the kids!

Daddy Yashiro February 11th, 2013 at 5:23 pm

It made me sing when I saw the title of this blog post “Jesus… loves… the little Children…” I was once a Sunday school teacher also. It was fun teaching the little ones.
Daddy Yashiro´s last [post] ..Friday Toys: Little Teddy Bear With a Heart