McKenna Pope–Child Activist: Haters Gonna Hate

I feel so proud of this young lady, though I don’t know her and I never even heard of her cause until seeing this video early morning on Sunday. She sends a powerful message though – that we have it in all of us to effect change. When we make a stand–specially on a potentially controversial issue-it’s inevitable that not everyone will agree with us, but so what? Take a stand anyway.

Haters will hate.

So what did she campaign about? She had a younger brother who was really interested in cooking and so the family thought it would be great to give him an Easy Bake Oven. Now we don’t have those locally, so not everyone may know what it is, but I believe it’s a toy that allows kids to actually bake something. I would have loved one as a kid!

hasbro_oven2

Photo credit: http://www.thecookinginn.com/easybake/easybakerecall.html

The problem was that McKenna’s brother was hesitant about getting an Easy Bake because it was “for girls.” All the marketing for the toy was aimed at girls.The colors were pink and purple, and the commercials always had girls. It was as if they were perpetuating the stereotype that the place for girls and women is at home and in the kitchen.

So she started a petition to ask Hasbro, the makers of this toy, to use gender-neutral colors for producing and marketing the Easy Bake.

Listen and watch her TED Talk here:

This entry was posted on Sunday, February 2nd, 2014 at 9:28 am and is filed under Interesting stuff, Issues of the day, Kids, Videos. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

14 Responses to “McKenna Pope–Child Activist: Haters Gonna Hate”

rosegen yeager February 10th, 2014 at 6:28 am

That’s a good a idea to have some other color besides pink and purple coz boys don’t like to use those kind of colors coz they think its only for girls, but cooking is for everybody not only for women so it make sense to me.

Dominique Goh February 10th, 2014 at 10:40 am

I too support that there should be different colors and that cooking is both for boys and girls. In fact at the moment am teaching my boys who are 7 and 9 too cook :)
Dominique Goh´s last [post] ..Weekend Reflections: Looking at January(Random Thoughts)

Allan February 10th, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I think she got a point. Such toys must have a neutral color.
Let’s see if she will grow as an activist. hehehe
Allan´s last [post] ..Throw Back Thursday: Throw Back Babies

Kat February 10th, 2014 at 11:20 pm

I love TED talks. Thanks for the link. Good job, McKenna
Kat´s last [post] ..A Letter for a Dear Friend

Mys February 11th, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Absolutely agree, my 6 year old son who has dreams of being a driver, while watching Chef Boy Logro would oftentimes look at me and say I want to be a chef too.
Mys´s last [post] ..Good Job Maegan and Angelo!

Mys February 11th, 2014 at 12:40 pm

He’d love an oven that doesn’t look like it’s for just girls.
Mys´s last [post] ..Good Job Maegan and Angelo!

Mylene February 11th, 2014 at 4:02 pm

I think she has a point, cooking nowadays is not only for women, some great chefs are boys! So it is possible that there are young boys who dream to be a great chef one day.
Mylene´s last [post] ..Back To School Project 2013 Updates

Rose February 11th, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Unfair! Why didn’t we have toys like that before, huh? Hehe. I would’ve begged my parents to have one. But really, she has a point and I hope Hasbro would take notice as well.
Rose´s last [post] ..Criminal Minds’ 200th Episode, family secrets and food trips.

Maan February 12th, 2014 at 9:06 am

Ang galing naman! Me too, although I acknowledge we have Biblical gender-specific roles, activities like these should be gender-neutral, especially for children!
Maan´s last [post] ..Super Yummy Lunch at Manang’s Chicken

JanzCrystalz/January February 12th, 2014 at 10:59 pm

I agree baking is not only for girls so toys should be in neutral colors.
JanzCrystalz/January´s last [post] ..Thrift Finds of the Week: Books and Moose Gear Apparels

Van February 14th, 2014 at 7:33 am

She’s one brave girl. And I agree, too. There are certain toys which are also suited for boys but are marketed for girls only, and I guess vice versa. Dapat talaga these toys should be in neutral colors.
Van´s last [post] ..Oh, Hello There Again, CD!

Maye Domencil February 26th, 2014 at 11:22 am

There’s one time Matt enjoyed the cooking toy set of his cousin. Though there’s a connotation that cooking toy sets are for girls, I just allowed him to play. We even bought a set for him. So this little girl is right. Marketers should also consider producing neutral color toys like those.

leira March 16th, 2014 at 8:59 am

its good of her to do that. Toy companies should consider making gender neutral colors like red or yellow

Farida March 19th, 2014 at 11:51 am

I’d love to get this oven to myself. Kahit for kids, I’m sure it’ll work like the real one and I too can try baking the goodies I only hear about.
Farida´s last [post] ..Staying Inspired